Monday, September 24, 2012

My story, well a piece of it...(F)


I'm trying to write my story and turn it into a Young Adult (YA) novel.  I have bits of it written out but I'm still unsure the direction I want to go with it.  This is a fictional story inspired by a few of my actual experiences that had a strong influence in how I see the world.  The lovely thing about writing is that I get to change my ending; I can re-write my story and give myself a stereotypical "happily ever after."


I was asked to the prom today… This boy, Edgar, from my Antamony/Phys class asked me, and I said no…  Maybe I should start with the beginning. 
Edgar is lead point guard on our school’s basketball team.  All the cheerleaders are in love with him.  He’s been trying to talk to me since the first day of school.  Day one in the lunchroom he comes up to me, in front of everyone, and asks for my number.  I’ve never had a boy call my house before.  I don’t want a boy to call and have her answer the phone… So I told him I wasn’t allowed to give out my number and I was a little mean about it.  It’s so awkward.  I just want to sit here alone.  I was invisible and now all the cheerleaders are giving me the death stare.  Creating enemies on the first day at a new school; this could only happen to me.  Also, why is he talking to me?! 
All those cheerleaders are so beautiful.  They’re each gorgeous in different ways.  I’m nothing special.  Eevie, the reliable, never says no to anything, simple girl.  That’s me.  The girl that’s not naturally beautiful and must always go out with a full face of make-up; well at least according to my mother. Sometimes I think I’m pretty.  Sometimes I look in the mirror very pleased by my reflection and then I hear her voice ring in my head and that feeling disappears. 
 I don’t want to be the bud of some joke so it’s a good thing I didn’t give him my number.   I’m so grateful when the bell rings so I can head over to my Anatomy class.  This stupid boy wouldn’t leave me alone all lunch.  I’ll have to remember to hide out in the quad tomorrow. 
As soon as I hear that bell I race for the door without saying goodbye and head in search of my Anatomy class.  I’m one of the first to arrive so I get a prime seat in the back.  At least no one will notice me here.  The five minute passing period flies by and the teacher begins by introducing himself.  I don’t even hear what he’s saying.  I’m distracted by a few students arriving late to class. 
“Welcome, glad you decided to join us.  Find a seat” says Mr.  ummm, I’ll have to find out his name later.  Stupid glasses!   I should have sat closer so I could read the board but I really just want to hide back here.  Shit, shit, shit!  Edgar is in this class.  I sink into my seat so he can’t see me.  I must look like an turtle tucking its head in its shell, hard shell to protect me from the world, maybe if I don’t look at him he won’t see me.   No such luck… He touches my shoulder as he takes the seat behind me and whispers, “Hi, beautiful.”   This class is really going to suck.  

No comments:

Post a Comment